Friday, August 13, 2010

Time to Say Goodbye

So much has happened since the last time one of us posted. If I ever have the privilege of coming back to Zambia, I will make sure to bring my own laptop! :P Anyway, I digress.

It is almost time for us to leave. I am sad because I may not ever see some of the amazing people I have met on this trip. The orphans and mamas have tugged on my heartstrings, and I pray that I will never forget my feelings for them. I will miss the EOH staff so much, and even my crazy fellow interns. (I mean "crazy" in a good way, btw.) I take comfort in the fact that God is in control, and He will watch over all of them.

Since my last post, we've met Kimberlee (an intern from years past), gone through the second Camp Hope in Lusaka with the short-term missionaries, our second Fellowship Day, said goodbye to Mama Harawa, the Lusaka MFH 1 and 2 orphans and mamas, stayed overnight in Chongwe and said goodbye to all of them, had a fantastic dinner and party with the EOH Zambian staff, and now we're preparing to say goodbye to the Lusaka MFH 3 and 4, and then dinner at Bob and Mary's house.

I never thought I'd cry because I felt sad about leaving someone. I've cried when someone has died, when I'm extremely frustrated, or teared up a bit at a sad movie. I think I've only cried a bit ONCE when I've missed someone, and even then I did not cry in public. After leaving the kids and mamas in Chongwe, I competely lost it and cried in public. I was already sad, but didn't start to feel the tears well up until I saw Maximillian (one of the boys in House 1) wiping away tears. Then I hugged little Doreen for the last time and told her that we loved her and will miss her very much. She looked at me, and seemed to frown the biggest frown I've ever seen on her face. She then waved goodbye to us, and I felt the first tear fall. As we drove away, I looked out the window to see another boy, Joshua, looking right at me then begin to cry. That broke my heart completely and the rest of my tears began to fall. More tears fell when I saw Megan and Kate crying as well. Needless to say, it was a very quiet ride back to Lusaka.

I began to pray to God quietly that I would never forget the feelings I felt at that moment. I never want to forget those precious children and mamas, nor forget how God took them away from horrible situations and placed them under the protection of Every Orphan's Hope. I began to think about the next time Brian and I could come back. Christmas time? We'll see how the Lord leads. :)

In Jesus' Love,
Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Brian & Andrea,

    I thank God for you! Truly, every orphan's hope is Christ in you and through you. Thank you for blessing our staff, the missionaries, the mamas and the kids! I'm honored that you chose to serve with EOH. God bless you. (4th member) Gary

    ReplyDelete