Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stories from the Heart

I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the kids I've met both at Camp Hope, on the roads, and at the different My Father's Houses. Some of their stories have broken my heart and even seeing some of the faces of the kids who weren't able to attend Camp Hope, Chongwe are still haunting me.

I've met many children so far, but there are a few who have really made an impact on me for various reasons. God has been using these individuals to touch my heart and to teach me many lessons.

My Father's House, Chongwe -
Doreen - this darling little girl is 3 years old, but looks as though she were much younger. She is very new to the MFH in Chongwe. Before she came to the MFH, she was found sitting in a house all by herself. Apparently, she'd be left in the house all day while her guardians went off to do whatever it is that they did, and she would just sit. When I first met her, she didn't smile, talk, play much, and she was hesitant to go to certain people. She wanted to be carried around almost everywhere even though she could walk. (She's the little one that I am carrying on my back in my facebook profile picture.) All of us felt our hearts break for her, wanting her to feel loved and feel free enough to behave as a child should. We all took turns playing with her, talking to her, trying to make her feel safe and showering love upon her. Late last week, Doreen seemed like a completely different child - she was singing, laughing, smiling, dancing and insisting that she walk by herself. She finally feels free to be a 3 year old, and I am so happy that she is receiving the love of Jesus from everyone around her.

Jonah - he is Doreen's older brother, who is about 9 years old. He was brought in at the same time as Doreen. He wasn't able to stay at home with his little sister because he was out herding goats all day. When I heard this, it was hard for me to imagine this little boy out on the fields by himself, herding a bunch of goats around. He didn't get a chance to just be a kid. When I look at his adorable little face now, watching him smile his big smile, laughing and playing, it makes me so thankful that God brought him to a My Father's House. He is safe and is showered with Jesus' love every day.

Maximillian - Max is about 12 or 13 years old. I don't know his story, but he is one of the most smiley young men I've ever met. He's got the hugest smile, which helped me recognize him when we first met. Max also loves to draw - he draws everything from flags, cars, and people. He drew pictures for most of us interns. The pictures don't really look like us, but he always includes something that we are wearing or holding so we know it's us.

Andrew - he is also about 12 or 13, and is a very active guy. He loves to laugh and joke around, but also has a passionate heart for Jesus. He had a hard time remembering my name until I told him that my name is just like his name, but with an "a" at the end instead of a "w". I told him I'd test him the next time I saw him. The very next day, he came up to me and said very loudly, "Andrea with an A!" and smiled his handsome smile. That made me smile.

Lister - this little cutie is about 6 years old. I met her when I was holding Doreen, and I felt a wet trickle down the back of my arm. I looked over my shoulder to see what it was, and saw a little girl giving Doreen some milk. She seemed quite shy and didn't seem to know any English when I first met her, but she leaned on me and smiled. I got a chance to walk around with her and was talking to her slowly in English, when she suddenly broke her silence and began to ramble quickly in English. Guess she knew English after all. Anyway, we sang some songs together and kicked a ball back and forth with little Doreen toddling after us.

There's another little one who has touched my heart from MFH, Chongwe. This child is HIV positive, which is why I am not using any names. This dear one does not appear sick, but would have to be taken to a clinic every once in a while to get medicine. This child is doing well, but it made me so sad to know that this little one has a deadly disease. The poor child didn't do anything to deserve it, and it makes me so angry to know that this young one has HIV. I am thankful that this child was found and brought to a loving family at MFH. I often see this child smiling, playing, and just being a kid. I am thankful for that, and I pray that if it is God's plan for this child, that this dear one will be healed.

The Mamas - these mamas, who take care of the orphans, are not just your ordinary women; they are women who love God and who were hand-picked by the EOH staff and their individual pastors. Many of them are widows, although one of them is still married, and still have children of their own. I recently discovered that three of the mamas, either in Chongwe or Lusaka, have young children of their own. Two of the children in a MFH with their mother, and the other 2 mamas' children are cared for by a close relative. It's amazing me to that 1) the two biological children of one of the mamas are cheerfully sharing their mother with 6 other kids, and 2) these other mamas would give up their own lives to care for 8 to 9 children who are not even their own.

I've been told that the bond between mother and child doesn't seem to be as strong here in Zambia, and that it's not just the parents that raise their kids, but the whole village/community has a hand in caring for the child. It's also common for parents to give up their children, if they cannot care for them because of lack of money/food. It just goes to show that so many families in Zambia are impoverished or in extremely desperate situations.

"Street Kids" (refers to kids who are not living in a MFH) in Chongwe -
Not all of these kids are orphans, but many of them are. Some of them are living in a single-parent home, with guardians, but many of them are being abused, mistreated, or are living in other horribly unsafe situations. Again, I don't know all their stories, but there are a few kids I met during Camp Hope, Chongwe who have made an impression on me. Some of them were actually attending Camp Hope and some of them are kids who were just hanging around.

Jimmy - I mentioned both Jimmy, who is about 13 years old, and his Pink Floyd shirt in an earlier blog post, but I wanted to include him again. I first met him when he was hanging around during Camp Hope, wanting to join, but he either attended last year or didn't have permission from a teacher or a parent to attend. I was trying to talk with him and a few other boys who were hanging around the field, but they didn't seem to understand much English, so they just laughed whenever I talked. They'd say "yes" when I asked them certain questions, but mostly just laughed. The next morning, I saw Jimmy, in his Pink Floyd shirt of course, sneak into the breakfast line meant for the Camp Hope kids. This action of his touched my heart. I don't know if he was sneaking in because he was poor and hungry, or if he was just being a sneaky kid and trying to get free food. I will never know, but it touched me because it reminded me that many of these kids ARE poor and hungry and are struggling to survive. It also reminded me that no matter how much free food we give these kids, it means nothing if they don't know Christ.

Verile - this cutie is 4 years old. He came into Camp Hope on the third day, and when I saw him, I fell in love with his face. That may sound crazy, but he has the cutest smile EVER! He almost looks like a bull dog - a squished smile, but OH SO CUTE!! He also has a HUGE head, which I'm sure carries a HUGE brain.

Sara - this dear little girl attended Camp Hope in Chongwe. I don't know how old she is, but I am guessing she's around 9 years old. I met her when I was sitting on a log up on the field where all the Camp Hope groups were meeting. She walked up to me while her group was playing. She looked at me, and I smiled at her. She smiled back and promptly sat on my lap and snuggled her head into me. She grabbed my hand and wrapped my arm around her, holding on to my hand tightly, as though she was afraid I'd let go. When I found out what her name was, I told her it means "princess" and that she is a princess in God's eyes. I told her Jesus loves her so much, and she just smiled at me. I don't think she spoke much English, so I just prayed for her, as she sat on my lap.

I am so happy that even when everyone else may forget about these dear young ones, who can barely fend for themselves and have no voice, Jesus does not forget about them. I am reminded of Matthew 19 when the little children where brought to him and the disciples tried to send them away, thinking they were a nuisance. Jesus then said unto them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Jesus does indeed love the little children. :)

I'm sure this list will grow as my journey in Zambia continues. Stay tuned!

In Jesus' Love,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment